Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I Love… Sports

Remember how I said I had a string of bad luck with relationships?

It started back in elementary school. My girlfriend was my cousin’s best friend. I did the elementary school thing and asked my cousin to ask Lady to go out with me. Lady said yes, on one condition: I couldn’t tell anyone at school.

So my first “relationship” had to be kept a secret. We talked on the phone, I delivered Valentine ’s Day gifts to her house, and when she stayed over at my cousin’s place, we hung a bit together. We never kissed or anything like that. But it was still important to me.

But the secrecy was killing me. I didn’t have much self-confidence in elementary school. I felt like everybody ganged up on me all the time, so I used to try and defend myself by exaggerating, which, by the way, never worked.

One clear example I remember was in the playground, a group of kids making fun of the way I smelled. I put gel in my hair back then, and I knew that’s what they smelled, but I didn’t want to admit this for some reason. They said I had stinky shampoo, and I responded that no, it couldn’t be that because I hadn’t washed my hair in a week.

As you can imagine, this only escalated things.

I don’t remember the circumstances, but I was trying to defend myself one time and I bragged about Lady being my girlfriend. It spread throughout the class, and got back to Lady. She was embarrassed and broke up with me a little later.

I remember the phone conversation. I didn’t have a phone in my room, so the only place I could go for privacy was my parent’s bedroom. She broke up with me over the phone, an d as soon as I hung up, I went out to the living room and decided sports would fill up my time. I got out the paper and read the sports pages for the first time in my life.

Now, I had been interested in sports for as long as I could remember, but I didn’t really follow it. I picked up names from friends and relatives, but I didn’t know anything. That afternoon was the beginning of the change.

It was also the beginning of my obsession with Major League Baseball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home