Monday, January 31, 2005

Crying in the Chapel

I went to church yesterday, the church where I grew up. It was by special invitation from Professor Xavier.

I haven’t attended the church regularly for seven years. And each time I go back I see what I miss.

I don’t believe in atonement anymore, that Jesus died for my sins, or that the Bible is the infallible Word of God. I hate the idea of “preaching the Gospel to the lost.” But I miss the people.

Some of the people anyway.

Some people are aggravating gossipy power players who feel the need to engage in backroom politics to protect “their” church.

But some people are like Professor Xavier.

He made announcements during the service. The church is doing a lot more socially responsible things than when I was last a member: collecting clothes and food for the needy, raising money for Tsunami relief, and accepting money for poorer families in the church who need a boost. It was his job to remind people about that.

Then he wanted to share something personal.

It had been 17 (17, not seven, as I told minako last night) since the Prof. had moved to Halifax with his family. He didn’t really want to come, but being here shook him out of a funk he was in. he learned to trust God. Learned that God will work things out. Learned that trusting God to take care of the things you worry about is easier and safer than doing it yourself.

The Prof. almost lost his job. Lots of layoff, and by rights, he should have been one of the people laid off, or at least, relocated. But he wasn’t. And he attributed this to God. Not in a pompous kind of way. In a humble kind of way. He said that it must have been God. That he didn’t understand it. That He didn’t know why God would do this. But that he was very thankful.

And he read a passage from Matthew 11.

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

He encouraged, almost pleaded, with those who were going through a rough time to trust God.

He was crying by the end.

I don’t remember thinking, at any point, that the yoke of believing in fundamental, charismatic Christianity was easy, or that the burden of resolving the contradictions inherent in that belief system was light, but I miss being around people who do believe and really care for those around them, people who care so much that they cry about it.

Soundtrack CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home