Tuesday, March 15, 2005

From Aporia to Aporia

I decided to continue working on Aporia after I left for Waterloo. The church had pretty much abandoned it to me anyway. I enjoyed writing opinion pieces, and I was starting to get submissions. Putting them togehter so it was visually attractive was fun too.

Unfortunately, by January the following year, I was getting so busy with school that I had spent three days without sleep and fucked up a major assignment in the process. So I decided to pare back on the things I was doing.

Aporia was one of the things that got cut.

By the end, I didn't believe in attonement or a literal interpretation of the Bible, and I was starting to feel a little disillusioned in my search for a church in Waterloo. But I still considered myself a Christian, just, a post-modern one, or an alternative one, or something different than what most Christians were.

Here is my last "My Word!"


Aporia: A Final Word

It's been a year and a half since Aporia began. I intended it to be a place where people could talk about the struggles they faced as Christians, not necessarily so they could get passed them, but so that they could have some company. I thought, and still think, the difficulties are inevitable, but knowing you're not the only one struggling makes them a little easier to endure.

To a certain extent, Aporia has done that. Submissions weren't as high as I would have liked, but what did go up allowed me and a few other people to share what they were thinking. And I received a few e-mails thanking me for the site and the articles. Despite this, I found it hard to keep my excitement about the site, and often focussed on other, more immediate projects that were demanding my attention.

Now I feel pulled in even more directions, almost all of them away from Aporia. So rather than try to fight it I've decided to give in and cancel any future updates for Aporia.

But that isn't really the end. There is a group of people (including myself) that is developing a web site/discussion group for people who struggle with their faith, and when it's ready, I'll be sure to post a link here. I will also be creating two new sites of my own, one focussing on writing and faith and the other on photography (I'll post those links when I'm finished as well). In the meantime, feel free to browse the archives of Aporia. I'll leave it up as long as I can.

Thank you all for visiting and writing. If nothing else you helped me to remember I'm not the only one struggling.

(2000)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home